Monday 27 June 2011

All aboard the pain train....

Well I've officially declared today, the 27th June 2011, following a hectic and inebriating Birthday weekend, the start of the second half of my life. Today is the first day I attempt to convert my body, which for a guy my age is in fairy good shape, into a ultra running machine. To clarify my definition of fairly good shape I mean no gargantuan beer belly (despite my best efforts), no love handles (other than my middle leg) and no signs of stressed grey hair (mainly because it's slowly falling out)
So, inspired by Dean Karneze and with the aid of the book by Matt Roberts "I will make you fit fast" along with runnersworld 3.5 - 3 hour marathon schedule my journey will begin. It will be a long and rocky road, cutting out whites, i.e. white sugar, white flour and white fat (lard) and moderating my social extravagance but in two years time I embark on the toughest challenge of my life, the Gobi March. So in a nutshell... "Needs Must"!

I never enter anything half hearted. I don't expect to win this "race"or come anywhere near the front runners but I will always give it my best. Four self supported back to back marathons and a 50 mile ultra in one of the most remote, arid and hottest places in the world is going to test me to the very depth of core survival. So to prepare, I will train, then I will train, then I will train some more and when I can go on no further, I will train some more.....This is the Karneze way, the greatest endurance runner that has ever lived!

So my plan this week will comprise of a few easy 6 mile runs, a day of speed work, maybe with a few hills thrown in, a few hours of martial arts, a few hours in the gym on some core work and if I get a chance, maybe the odd 18 mile return bike ride to work. Then the weekend it's off to the Lakes district to take on 30 miles of fells, in fact to top out on 24 of it's finest peaks over 2,400ft in mere 24 hours. That's 24 hours of walking, you do get a little rest in between for a bit of shut eye according to the challenge rules!

So bring it all on, let me test my strength, determination, endurance and state of mind (mmmm think I know what that's like).

Be Happy.

1 comment:

  1. Smally, I wish you the very best of luck. That's a big ask, but I'm sure you'll come up trumps.

    Remember whatever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

    Or as Jesse Ventura said in Predator "I ain't got time ta bleed!"

    ReplyDelete