Saturday 30 July 2011

Ultra fit….or just ultra stupid….



When I get something in my head, there is no stopping me until it’s done. It becomes almost obsessive and that latest obsession is Ultra running.

Why? The million dollar question with no real answer. Maybe because I’ve tasted a 50+ mile foot race in the Calladonian and loved it. Maybe because I feel I can give more, push harder. Maybe, I am a person that has to have goals in order to drive me on, Maybe because I want to see if I have the mental  strength and attitude for ultra endurance running, pushing through the wall of pain and back out the other side. Maybe because, as most people point out, I’ve lost the plot! Probably, in truth a bit of all of the above. Surely I can’t be sane to want to run 50,60, 75 miles trail races….or come to that 250k across a desert in China!

Well, sane or not I’m doing it. And I’ve always stuck to the much overused cliché of if a jobs worth doing it’s worth doing well. Gobi March, under two years away gives me a perfect goal, the ultimate target to aim and train for. To push my body to the extreme’s it’s never known.

I know this journey is not going to be easy. Running is not really fun, it’s a release, it’s rewarding , gives you a buzz when you finish a run and get that ethanol smell at the back nasal passages, the runners high, but it’s definitely not fun.

So, Adventure Hub…what a web page.  They organise six ultras each year: Yorkshire 50 miles, Welsh 62 miles, Exmoor 40 miles,  Northumberland 62 miles, Norfolk 62 miles and finally Scotland 75 miles.

They are every other month starting in January and apart from Norfolk all involve tough mountain or hilly trail terrain. So, not being able to decide on which one’s to do, Welsh and Scottish being my preferred, I’ve decided to do all six.  Six races, 351 miles……perfectly sane decision don't you think!!!!!???!!!!

JOG ON!


No comments:

Post a Comment